Director of Development
Posting Date: April 8, 2013 – Closing Date: Until filled
Under the direction of the CEO this position is responsible for all streams of fundraising within the Charlotte Metro Region of the chapter's 51 county territory including special events, major gift and individual fundraising, corporate gifts, foundation grants, planned giving, direct mail, board development and annual campaigns.
Core Responsibilities: Responsible for an overall strategic plan for an integrated campaign model that supports the short and long term goals of the organization. The position is responsible for developing a plan, breaking it into its constituent parts, assigning responsibility, executing components and motivating staff and volunteers to reach their individual and group goals. Must be able to manage and execute multiple campaigns and initiatives simultaneously.
Strategic Planning: Together with CEO, Director of Finance and Operations and Board of Directors, participate in the organization's strategic planning process to ensure integration of fundraising, awareness and philanthropy.
Leadership & Management: Foster and support a culture of philanthropy across the organization. Supervise fundraising and communications staff. Ensure sound administrative and management policies and procedures to support fundraising functions. Recruit, train and support staff, fostering professionalism and productivity.
Donor Research: Develop a list of prospective donors by identifying individuals, corporations and foundations with capacity and propensity to give.
Relationship Building: Initiate and strengthen relationships with key constituents through systematic cultivation.
Fundraising: Design and implement short and long term fundraising plans and budgets to support strategic goals.
Message & Marketing: Coordinate with all constituents, including CEO, Program Services and Chapter-wide Development Team to craft the message for all campaigns and solicitations.
Volunteers & Community Involvement: Develop and maintain relationships with volunteers and community groups.
Goals, Metrics & Evaluation: Conduct ongoing performance analysis of fundraising efforts, using appropriate standards, in order to identify opportunities, set priorities, resolve problems and inform future planning.
Ethics & Accountability: Create, follow and train others to follow appropriate gift acceptance policies that reflect legal and ethical standards.
Staff Management: Responsible for the goals and activities of fundraising staff focused on Charlotte Metro region. Must engage and direct the fundraising activities of senior staff, such as the CEO and Board of Directors, as needed, to assure the most effective methods building relationships and stewardship.
Records Management: Responsible for directing appropriate data entry, utilizing Raiser's Edge, regarding all prospect research, family relationships, community relationships, prospect visits and phone calls, invitations, Board and volunteer responsibilities and other items of note that could be helpful in fundraising.
· Excellent organizational skills
· Ability to create and manage to timelines and deadlines to achieve individual and team financial/program goals – long and short-term
· Ability to manage multiple projects
· Excellent interpersonal skills to develop fruitful long-term relationships
Ability to manage multiple projects
· Hands on leader that is willing to get in the weeds
· Comfortable with public speaking, ability to inspire
· Effective oral and written communication skills
· Executive Presence - ability to influence without authority
· Hands on working knowledge of developing and managing to annual fundraising budgets
· Understanding of finance and business
· Experience with a relational donor database; Raiser's Edge preferred
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office products, especially Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point
· Grant writing, event planning, public relations and marketing skills
· Bachelor's degree
· Minimum 6 years of diversified fundraising experience
· Minimum 3 years in a significant leadership role
· Track record of success in all aspects of fundraising
· Experience soliciting and closing gifts of greater than $25,000+
· Extensive experience managing volunteers and committees
· Ability to work weekend and evening events/functions as required
· Valid driver's license and reliable vehicle
Submit resume and cover letter stating the position you're applying for to: